Skip to main content

Slap Shot by Kelly Jamieson

Author:  Kelly Jamieson
Release Date:  October 17, 2017
Rating: 3. 5 Stars  ⭐⭐⭐




Slap Shot.!!! Let me just say those two words for you and let it marinate… Okay, now that we have shared a giggle, let us jump into this book review.  First off, this is a sport romance and it is part of a series.  I just want to disclose that I have not read any of the books in this series, but I have read other books by this author.  This books starts off with Max's ex-teammate's wedding where he meets the cousin of the bride named Kendra.  They lock eyes, they connect, she invites Max to her room and the rest is hot sex. 

This book is told from Max's pov and he has had a rough year.  He lost his wife to cancer, he took an entire season off from hockey and he is afraid to love again because he feels that if he does, he will be betraying her.  I really felt for Max and I understood is inner battle with himself and why he fought his feelings for Kendra.  Max was not an alpha, which I appreciated, nor a broody hero with a troubled past, but he was genuine and caring which makes this story more grounded.  Kendra was a good heroine, but I really wanted to see this story from her perspective.  This story was written very well from a male's pov and the chemistry between the character jumped off the page.

Although I enjoyed this story, I did not enjoy the beginning of the story or the first couple of sex scenes.  The sex scenes seemed weird and out of place.  When referencing his wife, I did not feel the undying love that the author was trying to convey between Max and his deceased wife.  There were no memories of their previous relationship.  There was just negativity towards her and he compared Kendra to her too much for my taste. I felt as if Kendra was a pushover for Max and Max just did not make the connection with Kendra falling in love until the last minute. This entire story is about Max preparing  to go to training camp so he can get back on the team.  This is brushed off when the big moment comes.  I mean, Max is definitely working hard to get on the team and trying to keep up with the younger players, but the author says "this happened" and then it's over.  I would like to think that most romance books have that grand gesture, but no this story.  The ending felt rushed and it left me feeling unsatisfied.


Though I did enjoy this story, it is a 3.5 star read for me.  I do recommend that you read this book because the author is talented and it's a hot read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Sexy Mistake by Sarah Ballance

Author:  Sarah Ballance Date Released: November 28, 2016 Genre: Romance Rating:  3 Stars *** If it wasn't for the weird beginning to this story, I would have gave this book 4 Stars.  This story started out really weird for me to say the least,  but it grabbed my attention. I am glad that I gave this book a chance because this story is really sweet.  This book is about two computer hackers who find love on a dating app. Olivia is a computer hacker who was fired from her job because of her program being prematurely released by someone.  To make matters worse,  she is dumped by her boyfriend the next day. Wanting to have a no strings sexy one night stand, she meets Grady on line, whom is also a computer hacker. The beginning is so awkward and stupid, that I almost quit. She meets this guy on line and goes to his house, not knowing whether he is a serial killer or not. Then they proceed to have sex, but it is so awkward and it made m...

A True Cowboy Christmas

Author:  Caitlyn Crews Date Released :  October 30, 2018 I went backwards with this series because I actually read book 2 titled "Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy" back in 2019 and when I chose this book I had no idea that it was a part of the same series. Weird.. The book that we are gathered here to review is "A True Cowboy Christmas" and it tells the story of Abby and Gray Everett.  Gray Everett does not believe in love based on a failed marriage and think Abby will be the perfect and practical wife to share his life and ranch with.  You lovers do know how that always ends right?  It was a little cliché, but I am always down or up for love. Let's jump into it.  As I stated before, Gray has ranching in his blood and has just buried his very abusive father.  Gray has a teenage daughter and who also happens to be a widow.  Gray has realized that he needs a family for his daughter and an eternal partner.  A marriage without love makes sense right?...

Foodie Adventures

 Hello everyone! I am not sure of how many of you love brunch like me but I had to share this. Yesterday was my birthday and I treated myself to my favorite meal.!