Skip to main content

Slap Shot by Kelly Jamieson

Author:  Kelly Jamieson
Release Date:  October 17, 2017
Rating: 3. 5 Stars  ⭐⭐⭐




Slap Shot.!!! Let me just say those two words for you and let it marinate… Okay, now that we have shared a giggle, let us jump into this book review.  First off, this is a sport romance and it is part of a series.  I just want to disclose that I have not read any of the books in this series, but I have read other books by this author.  This books starts off with Max's ex-teammate's wedding where he meets the cousin of the bride named Kendra.  They lock eyes, they connect, she invites Max to her room and the rest is hot sex. 

This book is told from Max's pov and he has had a rough year.  He lost his wife to cancer, he took an entire season off from hockey and he is afraid to love again because he feels that if he does, he will be betraying her.  I really felt for Max and I understood is inner battle with himself and why he fought his feelings for Kendra.  Max was not an alpha, which I appreciated, nor a broody hero with a troubled past, but he was genuine and caring which makes this story more grounded.  Kendra was a good heroine, but I really wanted to see this story from her perspective.  This story was written very well from a male's pov and the chemistry between the character jumped off the page.

Although I enjoyed this story, I did not enjoy the beginning of the story or the first couple of sex scenes.  The sex scenes seemed weird and out of place.  When referencing his wife, I did not feel the undying love that the author was trying to convey between Max and his deceased wife.  There were no memories of their previous relationship.  There was just negativity towards her and he compared Kendra to her too much for my taste. I felt as if Kendra was a pushover for Max and Max just did not make the connection with Kendra falling in love until the last minute. This entire story is about Max preparing  to go to training camp so he can get back on the team.  This is brushed off when the big moment comes.  I mean, Max is definitely working hard to get on the team and trying to keep up with the younger players, but the author says "this happened" and then it's over.  I would like to think that most romance books have that grand gesture, but no this story.  The ending felt rushed and it left me feeling unsatisfied.


Though I did enjoy this story, it is a 3.5 star read for me.  I do recommend that you read this book because the author is talented and it's a hot read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Riding Hard by Laura Landish

Author:  Laura Landish Release Date:   March 26, 2019 What is it about quiet, broody cowboys that drives us women wild?   Is it the foul mouth or the panty dropping tone?   Whatever it may be, it is in this book.   I think I lost my religion while reading this book because it was so dirty. Grrrr.!!   My inner cheetah, yes cheetah because they are my favorite cat, came out… 😻I mean Wow.!! Okay let’s get to the meat of this cowboy stew shall we. This is book 2 of the Bennett Boys Ranch series and this one is about the quiet, broody older brother, Mark.   I was so excited to read his story because he was so mysterious and who doesn't want to see a cowboy fall in love.   Hopefully you have read book 1 because I am about to drop a spoiler.   Okay…Mark's younger brother James from book 1 is getting married at   resort outside of town and this is where Mark meets Katelyn, an event coordinator.   Now I will not go too deep into the story, but Mark and Katelyn's

Jackson by Emily March

Author:  Emily March Release Date:  June 25, 2019 Right from the start this book grabbed me and I have never been so happy to be held hostage.  This book was wonderful and it made me feel so alive.  This is the feeling that I get when I read a good book and I just want to lay here and bask in its glory.  The romance, the drama, the rawness, and the superb writing hit every mark for me.  I have read one other book by this author and it was titled A Kiss of Spring and that was a 5 star read for me as well.  The writing flowed like water within a river bank and the characters were so charming and likeable.  I just finished reading this like 1 hour ago and I had to get my thoughts on paper ASAP.  I got that warm gooey feeling and that is sure sign that I am in love with this book.  Enough of my praising and blushing, now let me tell you about this story. If you are like me and started in the middle of the Eternity Springs Series, you have found a safe place because even t

It's all about that Cowboy by Carly Bloom

Author Carly Bloom Release Date  January 14, 2020 Wow!. This was a really quick read for me and I was really surprised.  I was not expecting for the story to end so abruptly and I am unsure if that was the author's intention.  The story was surprisingly witty and it gave me a couple of chuckles. This story follows Jessica and  Casey in the small town of Big Verde and they were small tow, high school sweethearts.  Jessica is back in town for a funeral and she was hoping to go in and out of this small town without bumping into Casey, the town sheriff.  Will they find the flame where their loved burned again? Jessica was forced to leave her beloved town with a major secret that will surely rock Big Verde to its core.  After graduation, Jessica and Casey promised each other the future and all the love that came with it, but after an unexpected pregnancy in the family forces Jessica's family to skip town overnight.  Fast forward twelve years later, Jessica is a successful restaurant